Had been thinking to make this gorgeous cake for some time, but due to it seems complicated, never try! This 1st attempt is for my Hubby’s birthday, not looks very nice but he loves it!!
Recipe adapted from : http://www.frenchdesire.com.au/recipes/opera_cake/
- 125 g ground almonds
- 90 g sugar
- 30 g flour
- 4 eggs separated (A)
- 1 whole egg
- 25 g butter (melt)
- 3 tbls fresh milk
- 5 g instant coffee + 1 tbl hot water
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 100 g thickened cream
- 15 g insta nt coffee
- 200 g sugar
- 70 g water
- 2 egg yolks
- 200 g butter
Note : not successful! only use normal buttercream recipe : 200g butter + 80g icing sugar + 1 tbl Baileys
- 80 g dark chocolate
- 80 g thickened cream
- Mix together the almonds and flour.
- Beat 4 egg yolks + 1 whole egg + 3 tbl milk + melted biutter. add to flour & ix well.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar until stiff.
- Gently fold the flour and egg mixture into the whipped egg whites
- Spread the mix onto greaseproof paper then cook at 170-180C degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- Bring the cream to a boil with the coffee.
- Blend in chopped chocolate.
- Stir until no lumps appear then allow to cool.
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan to dissolve the sugar, continue to boil.
- Beat the yolks until thick and light.
- When the syrup reaches 240F (use a thermometer) pour it into the yolks beating constantly until the mix is cool, thick and light.
- Whip in the butter a little at a time then the coffee.
- Melt the chocolate over a pot of hot water.
- Stir in the cream
- Divide the sponge into 4 equal parts
- Spread the ganache on a first layer.
- Cover with the next layer then the buttercream (if too soft, put in fridge for a bit)
- Cover with the last layer.
- Glaze the cake.