Had thinking of baking this gorgeous rainbow cake for some time. Had gone through many baking blogs to get tips of getting the natural color. Some of them using blueberries for blue color & blackberries for purple color, spanish for green color & beet root for red color.
I’d been trying a few times on beet root for my other cakes but the color turn out very disappointing!
Most people using the butter cake recipe for the cake but i feel its a bit too heavy & natural color will not dissolve well in oil base batter. So, i refer NasiLemakLover’s pure vanilla sponge cake recipe & make some modification on water vol.
The following are what i use for my natural color:-
1. Purple – abt 1 tbl blue flower extract + 1 tiny drop of pink rose color
2. Blue – abt 1 tbl Blue flower extract
Note : use generous amount of blue flower (i use abt 30 flower) + 2 tbl water. boil a while to extract the color, discard the flower.
3. Green – 1/2 tsp green tea powder + 1 tsp warm water
4. Yellow – lemon zest + 1/2 egg yoke
5. Orange – 1 tbl carrot paste
6. Red – 1/2 tsp red yeast powder + 1 tsp warm water.
5 egg yolks
1tsp vanilla extract
70ml corn oil
140g self raising flour
5 egg whites
1/2tsp lemon juice
1. Prepare one 6 X 5 1/2″ round aluminium foil tin, grease & line.
2. Immediate separate cold eggs from fridge (easy to separate this way) into two clean mixing bowls.
3. Add in sugar into egg yolks, immediately lightly whisk the egg yolks and sugar till light (Try to whisk immediately once sugar is added into egg yolks, egg will cover the sugar and turned hard if sit there for too long).
4. Add in vanilla extract and corn oil, mix well. Then add in milk, stir well to combine.
5. Sift in flour, stir till well combined.
6. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy, gradually add in sugar in there batches and continue beat until approaching stiff peaks (meringue stand straight up with a little curve at the tip) or till stiff peaks (this stage is a bit difficult to fold with egg yolk mixture)
7.Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
8.Fold in 1/3 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined. Don’t over mix.
9. Divide evenly cake batter into the 6 different color bowl. mix well with the color.
10. bake in 140-150 degree C for 20-25 min.
11. leave cool & spread with fresh whipped cream.