- For Dough:
- 300 gm all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Alkaline Water
- 50 gm Cooking Oil
- 180 gm Golden Syrup
- Filling for One Mooncake:
- 55 gm Dough Skin
- 40 gm Melon Seeds
- 80 gm Lotus White Paste or Red Beans Paste you can buy this ready made paste from Bakery wholesale shop
Note : you can use any filling you like. the above potion base on the mold size
Golden Syrup : 1kg sugar, 2 fresh lemon (1 lemon juice & 1 cut into thin pieces), 500ml water. dissolve sugar on high heat, turn to low heat after boiled. boil about 40-45 min until syrup turn golden brown. Some recommended syrup to be used after 2 weeks or more, but i have no passion, use after 1 week.
- Firstly, mix the melon seed with the lotus paste. Weight the lotus paste 90g each and roll into a round ball. Set aside.
- The dough or skin of the mooncake is made by a simple mixing of golden syrup, alkaline water, cooking oil and flour. The alkaline water helps to make the dough more stretchable, and allows the mooncakes to brown nicely when baking. However, is just a small amount needed.
- Slowly add the sift flour and knead into a fine dough.
- Knead the dough cover dough with cling wrap keep in refrigerator for 1 hour. This is an very important part which to let the dough to ‘REST’ is known as ‘醒面‘.
- Dust table surface and hand with some flour, flatten each dough. Lightly dust the wrapped dough with some flour. Place the dough with lotus paste in the mould. Press the ball of dough and filling firmly in mould. Plunge it out slowly and place mooncake on a baking greased tray. “You can mixed with any filling that you love, just make your own creative paste.”
- **This is another important point about the mooncake. You need to let it rest for at least 2 hrs or more before baking.**
- Preheat oven . The first bake at 180’C for 10mins. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15mins.
- Brush the top with golden syrup. Return the oven to to bake for another 15 minutes. Do check every 5 minutes to make sure that the mooncake is not over browned. Optional you can also use egg wash.
- Leave mooncake to cool completely and store in mooncake boxes or air tight containers. Wait for 2-3 days for soften the mooncakes skin before serving
- Kind reminder ~Different brands of oven has different circulation of heat and temperature. Control your own timing~~
Refer to this link – http://veganlogy.com/2012/09/25/traditional-m00ncake/