(Adapted from Angie’s Recipes with slight modifications)
• 120 gm bread flour
• 1 Tbsp matcha powder
• 5 egg yolks
• 5 egg whites
• 130 gm caster sugar ( reduced to 120 gm)
• 20 ml/4 tsp sherry ( substituted with hot water)
• 20 ml/4 tsp honey
. Line an 8 inch pan with alluminium foil and add a piece of parchment paper onto the base of the pan.
2. Mix the honey with hot water till honey has dissolved. Set aside.
3. Sift the flour with matcha powder, twice to ensure thorough mixing.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add in the sugar in 3 batches. Beat till stiff but not dry peaks form.
5. Add in egg yolks one at a time on low speed until well combined and soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted up.
6. Add in sifted flour and mix on low speed until just combined and no pockets of flour are visible.
7. Add honey mixture and mix on low speed.
8. Pour batter through a sieve into the prepared cake pan. Use a spatula to help the thick batter go through the sieve.
9. Tap pan on the counter to remove any large bubbles and smooth out the surface with the spatula.
10. Bake in a preheated oven @ 160 deg.C for 55 mins. till golden brown and test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
11. Take the cake out of the oven and drop the pan on the counter top from about a foot in height to prevent shrinkage, thrice.
12. Cool cake. Invert cake onto a fresh piece of parchment paper, remove foil and base parchment paper, wrap up with the parchment paper and put the wrapped up cake into a plastic bag and keep chilled in the fridge, upside down, overnight